Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Queen Has Arrived at LACMA

Yes, this queen. Lol.
I have a love/hate relationship with field trip assignments that my university classes demand. However, I chose to go to LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) for my Creative Expressions class' field trip assignment, which I had no doubt about having a fun experience there. I've been to LACMA a couple of times before and it's always fun to go there, especially on such a beautiful, sunny day during the week. I specifically based my assignment on the fabulous, inspiring Hans Richter exhibit titled Hans Richter: Encounters. I brought along my friend Kelvin to also catch up on a few things.
(OOTD: The Ramones band t-shirt. Vintage flannel. Rose gold bracelet. Alexander Wang bag)
There as an abundance of art pieces that caught my attention. Here are some of my personal favorites:
(Hans Richter - Blue Man "Blauer Mann", 1917)
Never actually having a significant amount of background information regarding Hans Richter, it was good to go with an open mind about what I was going to see. The exhibit showcased his fantastic works in all the mediums he worked with, including film and paint. Unfortunately, I was too enthused with the exhibit that I wasn't able to capture more of his work. Seriously, if you're in the Los Angeles area, take a visit to LACMA and check out the exhibit. It's brilliant!
Besides Richter's work, I decided to check out the other galleries at LACMA. From a fashion point of view, I thought this was piece below was fantastic. I love the use of embroidery and cubism combined together to create such an enticing piece. It's all about the details.
(Adya van Rees - Hourglass "Sandahr", 1914)
I feel like Missoni could've easily done something quite similar to that, no? lol. I thought this Picasso piece was quite lovely.
(Pablo Picasso - Young Woman in Striped Dress, 1949)
Completely floored by how stunning this was in person. Pictures don't do it justice, you have to see it in person to see how visually stunning this painting is.
(Stanton Macdonald-Wright - Synchromy in Purple, 1918-19)
If you're in the Los Angeles/Hollywood area, I definitely recommend you to check the Hans Richter exhibit. Even just stop by to check out the other amazing work there by Picasso, Warhol, Jacques Villon, and other visionaries.

xoxo.

p.s. UGH, the day after there was an event with Olivier Theyskens, YES, Olivier Theyskens from Theysken' Theory, for a Q&A/Speaking event. Sigh, but I had a final during the same time as the event and unfortunately would've have been able to make it. Last year I had the chance of meeting James Franco and Emma Roberts by being background filler, but finals interfered and now I missed meeting one of my favorite designers because of finals once again. ~sobbing~

No comments: