Saturday, September 20, 2014

GEMMA WARD'S COMEBACK! I REPEAT, GEMMA WARD'S COMEBACK + Snej's Comeback, MCB and Stam at Fendi

OMG. This is a historical moment, y'all. Like Gia Gunn from Project Runway says: "This is the moment that counts." Leave it to mama Miuccia Prada to resurrect ha ass back all the way from Australia!
Seriously, the fact that it's been, oh idk about 7 years!!!!, since Gemma has done a runway show is truly fucking crazy. Homegurl is the sole reason for the baby faced models of her time (HELLO! Lily Cole and Caroline Trentini, anyone?!?). Gemma is that girl that was everyone's first favorite model when they got into fashion, or at least my generation would agree. Ever since her departure from the industry and trying to break into film, it's been quite bleak in the model world, tbh, and no one was having IT. She's been gone for so long and still has the power to return and still make an impact. This is seriously a fucking miracle and it does feel quite surreal. The queen, the doll-faced beauty, the legend has returned! This is going in the books, kids!
Besides Gemma, my original queen Snej is back! Let me tell you, homegurl is quite active on Instagram. Not only have I almost fainted from her replying to me on there a couple of times, but she's been quite vocal about wanting to make a comeback and she finally appeared at the Ports 1961 show! Another major comeback!
It's funny because she posted traveling to Milan to do shows/get back into the business and then commented at someone saying she's not doing shows and is traveling back to Kiev. Like a true fan, I was having a fit about it. Like, you go to Milan and then you're coming back home? UGH NOPE. I'm not having it, Snej. BUT I guess she went back to Milan and did the Ports 1961 show. Hmm, sure, it's not exactly Prada, but it is a strong show in terms of casting. Edward Enninful is involved with the show, which to me seems perfect because if she can become close to him that'll lead to editorials, which leads to exposure, which then leads to more runway shows, which means ad campaigns, etc. You get me, right? However, even though I'm so ecstatic my all-time favorite model did a show in Milan Fashion Week, I am not loving that hair color. It washes her out and I feel like something darker, like her hair color during her first couple of seasons, will bring back that youthfulness she's lacking at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love ha, but I just want the best for my queen.
Okay, and in not-exactly-a-comeback news, MCB just graced us with her beauty at Fendi after not walking the label since Spring/Summer 2009! She's my ultimate runway queen because her runway walk fucking slays! No one can compete with her. Like, she's the reason I sashay down the streets of LA.
Mother has arrived indeed. Did I tell you she closed the show? Yup! My god, she looked gorgeous and I'm hoping she walks Chanel during PFW since she hasn't walked for the label since that American flag Spring/Summer 2008 collection. You gotta love that smirk she does.

*calls Lagerfeld to bring her to Chanel*
OMG! And let's not forget about Jessica Stam, who's having a resurgence at the moment.

Damn it's been such a long time since I've seen Stam so involved in runway shows. She closed Public School and was in Marc Jacobs 2 weeks ago and here she is back in the game at Fendi. I fucking love it. It honestly feels like I'm back to being 15 when I got into fashion and had my walls filled with images of Stam, Snej, Vlada, Gemma, Freja, Chanel, Kass, MCB, Natasha, and the list goes on. It was the good ol' days where I feel models were truly valued and less disposable. Models seemed so unique, talented, and really intriguing. Sure, many argue models at that point don't come close to the models of the 90s. However, it was my generation of models that gave me life and really made me appreciate fashion and seeing these girls back in a show or two really makes me nostalgic for the good ol' days. It's nice to see familiar faces when countless of celeb models *cough Kendall cough* *giggles* and bland girls are dominating the catwalks. This also reminds me of a good point that Steff Yotka from Fashionista.com made:
Not only does Ward's appearance solidify the fact that models are making their return to the spotlight (look no further than Vogue's September cover or the major models who walked in other SS15 shows, like Abbey Lee Kershaw, Kristen Owen, Maggie Rizer or Lara Stone, who closed the Prada show, for proof), but it's also probably about to put an end to the stunt casting that dominated New York runways. I mean, who really cares which runways celebrity spawn models walked when Gemma Ward is back in the game? 
I honestly blame casting directors, of course, and Katie Grand. Like, gurl, stop trying to make every damn celeb model happen. Like, just fucking stop. The fact that celeb models, like Cara Deleving, Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner, Haily Baldwin, Georgia May Jagger, and now Ella Richards, are everywhere really irks me. Thank god, or should I say Miuccia Prada, my generation of girls are making a comeback, whether it's grand or miniscule. Overall, let's definitely celebrate. It truly is a good week in fashion right now.

No comments: